something new

I went to McMinnville today to buy something from the art supply store.  Just around the corner from there
is Boersma’s.  It’s small fabric store (sewing machines, miele vacuums, repair, quilting) that has a good
selection of nice fabric.  I ended up buying some fabric to make colourful pillow covers for 16″ square pillows.
I’m thinking maybe i could sell a few.  I like fabric, and i am pretty good at sewing things with straight lines.
I put the pencils in the photos to give an idea of the size of the print.  These fabrics were in their bargain
area.  The fabric is very expensive to start with, so i thought that it would be a good place to start.  Though,
they require a purchase at least one yard of the bargain selections.  I had fun with matching fabric for the
fronts and backs of the covers.
How do you think i did?  Do you like any of the match-ups?

16 Comments Add yours

1. Beth says:

My favorite is the first one–love the shades of pink set off with a golden yellow and crisp white. Just looking at a pillow in these prints would lift my spirits on a rainy day! All three sets are lovely, but the third set is my second favorite—love the soft blue back cover and the colorful ‘garden’.
    Great choices; great idea!:>)

2. i fancy the second set.
    sewing straight lines. good idea.

1. nancy says:

it’s fun to see who likes which prints.

3. Very lovely combos, Davis.

1. nancy says:

thank you! :-)

4. steve says:

I can’t wait to see the final products! I love the blue paisley style pattern. Nice pairing of patterns. (and choice of pencil color!) Sewing is a real craft, my grandmother was the last person in my family that sewed.

1. nancy says:

Thank you. I could look for a very long time at fabric design and colour. I was taught to sew, but, the having to rip-out the mistakes…and zippers, and button holes! Well, let’s just say i like to keep to the straight and simple lines. I did, however, learn to appreciate a well made, hand made, item. Not a lot of people sew for themselves anymore. With the cost of the fabric and the time involved…and the inexpensive items made in China, and brand names, and advertising…and..and..well. I’ll shut-up now.

5. S. Etole says:

This makes my sewing fingers itch! Unfortunately my machine needs some repairs done.

1. nancy says:

sew….what do you like to sew?

1. S. Etole says:

I used to make and sell soft-fabric crafts … bunnies, Santas, bears … you name it. I also sew my own slacks.

1. nancy says:

you are totally talented. do you do any other stitching or embroidery?

1. S. Etole says:

No, I haven’t the gift or patience for hand sewing.

6. mdoallas says:

All of these are great, though I’d be partial to first and third. Be sure to show us your pillows!

1. nancy says:

thanks, mo. i’ll be sure to show them :-)

7. lschontos says:

I like them all Nance – but I especially love the last ones. I think they will make beautiful pillows. I am such a poor sewer, but I’d like to make some pillows for our new house. Maybe you could do a little tutorial? :-)

1. nancy says:

thanks for the feed-back.
      a tutorial is a good idea…i might just send you one.

Please, feel free to leave a message.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s